The pedology cover constitutes an essential natural resource in term of socio-economic and environmental view, but still little unidentified and insufficiently taking into consideration in the programs development, particularly in arid regions. Yet, by its interface position in the environment, the soil under the influence of environmental factors and the impact of human activities that may lead to degradation or disappearance irreversibly. Conversely, we cannot conceive a development or the existence of ecosystems in balance without the genesis of a soil cover which allow this.
It is based on a cartographic work done on less than 1% of the surface of arid regions of Algeria, that the soils of these regions are highly variable as much characteristics than properties in viewpoint. Furthermore, despite the immensity of these good qualities of soils territories, which mean allowing an agricultural intensification, it covers very limited areas
The resource soil in arid regions therefore deserves to be better known, especially in areas with large water potential, in order to their valorization in terms of productivity and sustainability.
This knowledge includes aspects, spatial distribution, identification of constraints (salinity, sodization, waterlogging, endorheic basin, soil thickness, gravel charge, physical or chemical fertility, limestone or gypsum crusting, etc. ...) in the highlighting of methods and technical management, rehabilitation and improvement of this resource.
Genesis and characterization of soils in arid regions with large agricultural potential :
- Analyses of pedogenetic processes (salinization, gypsification, waterlogging, sodisation and carbonation);
- Morphological, Mineralogical, biological and physico-chemical soil characteristics ;
- Illustration of soil and irrigated perimeters
soil-water-plant relations and Sustainable Development :
- Changing soil quality within irrigation .
- water balance, salt and groundwater aquifers ;
- Characterization, modeling and simulation of soils functioning in arid soils ;
- Plant response to salt stress and hydromorphy.
Amelioration of soil quality :
- Amendment: sand, clay, gypsum, organic matter ;
- chemical fertilizer N, P, K, and trace element ;
- land improvement ;
- Drainage and fight against waterlogging and salinity.
- Capitalization of the experience and skills of researchers on topics related to the management and the valorization of the soil cover
- Development a system -expert of monitoring irrigated perimiters
- Scientific production: Communications and publications.
Socio _economic :
- Increase the agricultural surface by the illustration of new zones for enhanced agricultural potentials.
- Increase agricultural productivity by improving soil fertility.
- Sustainability of agricultural development by preserving soil quality
- Creation of an irrigation control system and economical water management.
- Awareness on civil society and decision makers on the land role that should occupy the soil in the projects of agricultural development and environmental protection.